Fire destroys rural Oconee home

September 9, 2013
By

A late night fire near Westminster has destroyed a home, but its two occupants were unharmed. All belongings in the home were lost and the Oconee Chapter of the American Red Cross is providing temporary assistance. According to Oconee Fire Chief Charlie King, cause of the fire at 220 Chevis Mountain Road in the Cleveland Community is accidental. The fire call was sounded at 10:56. Because there was no hydrant near the home, fire fighters needed to transport water several miles from a remote source. The home was not equipped with an operating smoke detector or sprinkler system. To have a detector installed in your home free of charge, contact Oconee Emergency Services at 638-4200. If you would like to help the family displaced by last night’s fire, contact the Red Cross at 638-5619.

WGOG > News > Fire destroys rural Oconee home

Weather

Calendar

  • April 19, 2014 8:00 amBenefit Hot Dog and Yard Sale
  • April 19, 2014 9:00 amOconee County Democratic Party's Breakfast Meeting
  • April 19, 2014 10:00 amClearmont Baptist Church's Easter Egg Hunt
  • April 19, 2014 6:00 pmMountain Rest Community Club's Monthly Meeting
AEC v1.0.4