Fire displaces family of five

February 5, 2013
By

A family of five displaced by yesterday’s home fire near Westminster is regarded fortunate to have avoided injury or death. Officials say their home at 225 Oak Grove Road benefited from a working smoke detector. Firefighters discovered a home full of smoke and fire through the roof and needed 10 minutes to put a stop to it. Investigators have determined a wood heater in the front room to have been the origin. The family of five, which includes three children, has temporarily moved in with friends. According to Charlie King, Oconee Fire Chief, the family is proof that smoke detectors save lives. Last year four people were killed in Oconee home fires that caused more than $4 million dollars in damage. If you are without a working detector, you can obtain one at no charge by calling Oconee Emergency Services at 638-4220.

 

WGOG > News > Fire displaces family of five

Weather

Calendar

  • April 14, 2014 2:00 pmSpring into the Library at the OCPL’s Westminster Branch
  • April 17, 2014 9:00 amBlue Ridge Bank Bake Sale to Benefit The March of Dimes
  • April 19, 2014 8:00 amBenefit Hot Dog and Yard Sale
  • April 19, 2014 9:00 amOconee County Democratic Party's Breakfast Meeting
AEC v1.0.4